Harris G. Strong (1920-2006) achieved international success for his decorative ceramic pieces, like this brass framed three dimensional pig. He formed Harris G. Strong, Inc., in 1950 in the Bronx, New York, with his wife Roslyn. One of the first artists to paint directly on ceramic tiles, Strong's innovative artwork won many awards. In 1970, Strong and his family moved both home and business to Ellsworth, Maine; after a fire in their ceramics factory in nearby Trenton that destroyed all his glaze formulas, Strong turned to creating art like prints and paintings. The paper label on the back indicates this piece was made after the move to Maine, as it obviously does for any of his works with this label. This artwork dates from the 1970's or 1980's.
The curly-tailed pig is centered on a white background that has a faint tint of gray. A double cut mat in the same shade, edged in taupe and gold, floats above it, creating a shadowbox effect. The flat back ceramic figure of the pig has a brown glaze with coppery highlights. The narrow brass frame has a hint of copper color, also, although as you can see from the photo with the lamp, it works well with "regular' color brass. It's not just labeled---Harris Strong's signature "H. Strong" is handwritten in graphite below right of the porker. The word "PIG" hand printed on the dust paper is a strong clue to the title (pun intended).
The framed size of this handsome artwork is 19 1/4 by 15 1/4 inches and 1 1/2 inches deep. It weighs 5 pounds 4 ounces and has a sturdy hanging wire installed. The solidly constructed frame, the hand made ceramic pig and all the other components including the plexiglass cover are in excellent condition, ready to hang and admire.