This striking compote was made by Haas & Czjzek, a prominent porcelain manufacturer in Schlaggenwald, formerly in Czechoslovakia (now it's in the Czech Republic). The mark, shown in our photo #3, is printed in green on the bottom and shows a shield with 1795 (the date of the founding of the company) over it. In the center of the shield is an arrow or tree with the letters H C, one on each side, and an S (for Schlaggenwald) at the bottom. The word Czechoslovakia is curved beneath the shield; H and C used this particular mark from 1918 to 1945.
It seems that Czechoslovakian china and porcelain manufacturers were very fond of lustre, as there are a number of pieces in existence that have a complete lustre glaze and some that just have it as trim. This compote has a beautiful blue lustre body that has a glossy finish that reminds us of oil on water; there are tones of green and lavender when the light hits at certain angles. Both the upper and lower rims were hand painted with gilt and then outlined in a narrow black line. The black line on the very edge of the upper rim is the only area showing some loss of paint. There is a glaze skip on the inside bottom, but otherwise this compote is in superb condition. It stands 4 ½ inches tall, is 9 ½ inches across the top and weighs about 2 pounds. The base has a 4 ¾ inch diameter.
This compote would be wonderful as a fruit bowl, a centerpiece or on display on a sideboard or shelf.