This striking transferware pitcher was made between the years 1883 and 1887 in Staffordshire, England by the partnership of brothers Thomas Gimbert and Frederick Booth. The pattern is Chrysanthemum and the decorations are very much in tune with the Aesthetic Movement, which encouraged artistically placed bold designs, rather than the overall patterns of the Victorian era, which Aesthetes considered fussy and sentimental. This pitcher or jug of pure white ironstone has a large transfer of a mum with its foliage on each side, in colors of brown, green and pinkish-lavender. The upper rim has a wide band of alternating blocks, some with a mum and some with geometric designs. The inner rim has a double stripe and a line of brown zigzag and dots that is carried down the center of the arched handle.
The bottom of this pitcher is stamped with the maker's mark in brown. It consists of a buckled belt with the strap hanging down that encircles the initials "T. G. & F. B." with the pattern name "Chrysanthemum" printed at the top inside the circle. The Booth brothers' partnership, begun in 1883 in Tunstall, may not have been an amicable one, as it was dissolved on the first day of January, 1887. We've included a copy of the notice they posted in the London Gazette newspaper dated December 31st, 1889.** Thomas Booth continued the pottery on his own as Booth's.
This pitcher stands 5 1/2 inches tall to the top of the spout, measures about 5 inches across from the belly to the handle and stands on a base about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. It weighs 14 ounces and is in pristine condition. There are several small spots of brown ink from the transfer process, mentioned for accuracy, but the jug is super clean with no damage and the only slight wear is to the dry foot ring. This pitcher is a beautiful addition to a transferware, Aesthetic Movement and/or ironstone collection.