This Georgetown University collector's plate was made in 1954 by Wedgwood at the Etruria Works in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England. The plate has a transfer in lovely blue, engraved in-house by Wedgwood, that depicts Copley Hall, one of the oldest residence halls on the campus, named for Friar Thomas Copley. The rim of the 10 inch plate is encircled with blue laurel leaves.
There are two marks printed in blue on the back: WEDGWOOD OF ETRURIA & BARLASTON MADE IN ENGLAND (used from 1940 to 1974) and ENGRAVED BY THE WEDGWOOD STUDIOS. There is also an impressed mark WEDGWOOD 8X54, which indicates the plate was made in 1954; we've seen various dates on these plates up to 1958, with 1954 the earliest. An additional impressed mark is near the rim on back, possibly the letter J.
The plate, which weighs one pound, three ounces, is in outstanding condition; the white china with no chips, cracks or stains, the transfers fresh and unfaded. This plate is perfect for collectors of Wedgwood, blue and white china, historic china and Georgetown students and alumnae alike.