Blue Transferware Vintage WEDGWOOD WESLEY TEAPOT
- Vintage item
This famous teapot was originally made by Sir Josiah Wedgwood in a one gallon size in 1761 and presented to John Wesley (1703-1791), an English theologian who led the Methodist movement and who was a great lover of tea. The original teapot is in the Museum of Methodism (Wesley's Chapel) in London; the Wedgwood firm reproduced it in this quart size in 1908 for Anna Long Onstott (1869-1944), an American Methodist laywoman and historian. There is an accompanying brochure, which includes a history of the teapot and a price list (and which we'll send along with the teapot). The pamphlet indicates the teapot was purchased from a shop in Lake Junaluska, North Carolina, where the World Methodist Museum was located (it opened in the 1950's and closed recently).
The mark on the bottom of the teapot, consisting of the words "WEDGWOOD of ETRURIA & BARLASTON MADE IN ENGLAND" in a circle, is the one Wedgwood used starting in 1940. In 1974, the ® (R in a circle) symbol was added to indicate that the name Wedgwood is a registered trade mark, so this teapot dates from 1940-1974. Given the font and colors of the brochure, we think this one was made in the 1950's.
The lovely pure white porcelain is lavishly decorated with blue transfers in the pattern Wedgwood called "blue calico." There is a different verse printed in blue on each side, parts of the prayer "Be Present at Our Table, Lord" written by John Cennick (1718-1755), a Christian evangelist. The teapot measures about 7 1/4 inches tall to the top of the knob on the lid, 9 inches from spout to handle and weighs 1 /34 pounds. It's in nearly unused condition, with no stains, cracks, or hairlines and one tiny chip on the rim of the inner flange of the lid; you can see it in photo # 5 when you zoom it. It's a wonderful teapot in wonderful condition, perfect for use and display.