This black basalt cream jug or pitcher was made by the Caledonian Pottery, which was established circa 1800 on the banks of the Monkland canal in Glasgow, Scotland. In 1872, the pottery moved to Rutherglen by the railroad tracks and was closed in 1928. Black basalt porcelain was an innovation of Josiah Wedgwood in the late 1700's; he called it "Basaltes Ware", naming it after the volcanic rock basalt. It is a type of clay that starts out brown but fires black with an appearance that is almost glass-like. There are no marks to the base on this piece.