Staffordshire Covered Serving Dish 1896-1945 John Maddock and Sons
This lovely oval covered serving dish was made by John Maddock and Sons, Ltd, earthenware manufacturers at Newcastle Street, Burslem in Stoke-on-Trent, England. The company was started in 1842 by Maddock and as he added sons, the marks on their wares changed. The mark on this dish, pictured in photograph #4, was printed in underglaze brown and consists of a crown over a circle containing the words "John Maddock and Sons Ltd Royal Vitreous England." This mark was used between 1896, when they added the "Ltd" and 1945, when they dropped the word "Royal." The company was out of business by 1981.
The transfer pattern on this pure white, very glossy china is a pretty band of vines and flowers in light green, pink and light blue on a speckled background, surrounded on both sides by gilt oval-and-diamond chains. The two side handles and the lid handle are both edged in gilt, as is the rim of the base. According to Replacements.com, this pattern is MAD150--wish we knew a nicer name, but there it is. The style of the pattern dates this to the early part of the 20th century.
The dish measures 12 inches long including the handles, 7 inches from side to side and 5 inches tall to the top of the lid handle. It can comfortably hold 4 cups of food (we measured). We don't think this piece has been used--the condition is that good--no cracks, no chip, no discolorations.
It's always nice to find a vintage item for your home that is decorative and also so very useful.