A sculptural piece with clean modern lines, this elephant statue was made by Alva Studios (1948-1990) in New York, founded by Vienna-born Alfred Wolkenberg in 1948. The company gained prominence (it was featured in 'Life' Magazine in April 1955) by reproducing works of art owned by museums in the U.S. and abroad. Authorized by the museums and closely controlled by the curatorial staff, Alva's skilled sculptors spent days in front of the artwork, reproducing it faithfully while often reducing it in size from the original. The resulting works were sold in museums and stores across the country. At first, pieces were marked "Alva Studios"; later items were marked "Alva Museum Replicas" (AMR).
The elephant is made out of Alvastone, a synthetic, high-density casting material made with gypsum and ground stone that was developed by Alva Studios. It was trademarked by Alva Museum Replicas, Inc. in Long Island City, New York on January 31, 1979. Replicas made from Alvastone, like this elephant, are heavy for their size and very durable.
This sculpture is 6 inches tall, 4 inches long from the trunk to the rear leg and 2 1/2 inches wide across the legs. Painted black with ivory tusks, it is hand finished and has carved details such as ears and eyes. It weighs in at 1 3/4 pounds and is in excellent condition, with no chips, cracks or post-production flaws. Small enough in stature to tuck among other decorative items, this elephant is sufficiently eye-catching to stand on its own anywhere in your home.
>>> Some of the information here was extracted from a published lawsuit:
ALVA STUDIOS, INC., Plaintiff, v. Robert WINNINGER, doing business as Wynn's Warehouse, and Austin Productions, Inc., Defendants.
United States District Court S. D. New York October 16, 1959.