The "Texian Campaigne" transferware pattern was introduced about 1837; although made in Staffordshire, it was produced to appeal to Americans. The pattern was designed to commemorate the 1835-1836 revolution fought against Mexico by Texans for their independence (the word 'Texian' is the British form for Texas.) While this earthenware plate was made for the American market, the soldiers pictured in the central transfer are Mexican, not Texan. The potter James Beech, who operated the Lion Works in Tunstall, is believed to have introduced the design. The borders have cartouches of flowers surmounted by drums draped with flags; interspersing each floral panel is an image of the Greek goddess Ceres.
The original pieces are scarce and costly, so the Dallas County Heritage Society commissioned an authentic reproduction dinner plate in blue, to be made by Mottahedeh & Company. Mottahedeh, in business in New York for 75 years, has also been authorized to make fine reproductions for Winterthur, Colonial Williamsburg, the Metropolitan Museum of Art and Historic Charleston, among others.
On the reverse of this plate is a printed blue cartouche, enclosing the words 'TEXIAN CAMPAIGNE,' with the initials J B under it (for James Beech). This would have been the only mark on the original; on this plate, the other words certify the maker, country of origin, etc. This plate is in pristine condition, with a pure white body and crisp blue transfer details. It measures about 10 1/2 inches across and about 1 1/4 inches high and weighs 1 3/4 pounds.